I’ve been on the search for a perfect sun hat pattern and I finally found it in a great little sewing book called Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose a Pillowcase.
Because it’s in a book, I can’t very well give you the pattern here, although I wish I could because I know you would love it! I used one of my husband’s too-small button up shirts for the outside and a green zebra stripe home decor fabric from JoAnn for the other side. It took me an evening to make and I LOVE wearing it!
Some tips for making a good quality hat:
- look for a brim that’s not too tall so it sits up above your ears
- clip and notch both seams
- press, Press, PRESS!!! Pressing curved seams is tough, but it must be done. Use a tailor’s ham and take some deep breaths.
- use interfacing on both brim pieces
- edge stitch around the outside of the brim a few times in concentric circles to give it a nice finished look
Since I can’t give you my pattern, here are some other sun hat patterns I found in blog land. Enjoy!