One reader will win a copy of The Art of Preserving: Sweet & savory recipes to enjoy seasonal produce year-round.
I love preserving and I love this book. It’s my new favorite preserving book and here’s why:
- the recipes.
- the reference materials.
- the design.
I’ve browsed my fair share of canning/preserving books, and many of them are an absolute bore to read and the recipes can be…interesting. I’m a very practical preserver, and I want tried and true recipes that use standard ingredients to make fabulous results, and I can tell upon first browsing that this cookbook has those elements.
Not only does this book have preserving recipes, it also has recipes for using your preserves like
- Yogurt Parfaits with Berry Jam & Granola
- Pecan-Apricot Thumbprint Cookies
- Blueberry-Plum Jam Turnovers
- Ham with Ginger-Peach Glaze
- Pulled Pork with Spicy Peach-Mustard Sauce
- Spiced Pumpkin Butter Bread
- Spaghettini with Tomato-Basil Sauce and on and on…
There are 134 recipes in total and there are some new ones I’ve never seen before like Nectarine Preserves, Kiwi-Lemon Jam, Meyer Lemon Jelly, Tomatillo Salsa, etc. And I finally have some recipes I trust for staples like Apple Pie Filling, Plum/Strawberry/Mixed Berry/Peach Jams.
The authors emphasize small batch canning to get the best results. Preserving can seem overwhelming because I usually do a ton of each recipe which ends up making the whole process very laborious. This book has convinced me that I can do small batches of lots of different recipes to have more variety in my pantry.
The background/supplementary information is basic and sensibly presented. There’s a section on the basics of home canning, the basics of fruit spreads and pickling, and tips from pros on everything in between.
The Art of Preserving is usable – it’s the perfect size for carrying around or laying open on the counter and the recipes are presented by category in alphabetical order with full page color photos. Nearly every recipe has its own full page BEAUTIFUL color photo and photos are what make the cookbook, right?!?
This book is exactly what I’d expect from Williams-Sonoma – reliable recipes, essential information, and beautiful design. And just in time for all your summer canning!
- Visit Williams-Sonoma.com
- Make a comment on this post telling me why you’d like to win before midnight Tuesday, August 3.
- A winner will be selected and announced at the top of this post on Wednesday.
- Only one comment per person unless you earn extra entries.
- Giveaway open only to residents of the continental United States…sorry.
- Winners must email me to claim their prize within 5 days.
EARN EXTRA ENTRIES
You may earn 1 extra entry each for doing the following (make a separate comment for each thing you do):
- Become a Facebook fan of Williams-Sonoma
- Follow Williams-Sonoma on Twitter
- Follow Vanilla Joy on Twitter
- Tweet about this contest with a link back here
- Become a Facebook Fan of Vanilla Joy
- Facebook about the contest with a link back here
- Subscribe to Vanilla Joy on YouTube
- Subscribe to my feed
- Sign up for my newsletter
- Add my button to your sidebar
- Comment on any non-contest post (must contribute to the conversation)
GOOD LUCK and THANKS!