Linus was born at the very end of August and so he has been pretty newbornish this whole winter. Keeping him warm and bundled when we go out is obviously important, but putting him in the car seat that way is a nightmare.
I made him a little fleece poncho so he could wear his blanket and be warm even in the car seat. My older boys have them too and they’re a great, comfortable, and easy extra blanket layer that will never drag on the ground!
Here’s what you need:
- fleece (5/8 yard for 0-24 months, 1 yard for 2-5 years)
- coordinating cotton ribbing (1/8 yard)
1. With your child’s hands down at his side, measure from wrist up the arm, across the shoulders, down the other arm to the other wrist. This measurement is how wide to cut your piece of fleece.
2. Measure from your child’s knee up to his shoulder, over the shoulder and back down to the back of his knee. This is how long to cut your piece of fleece.
3. Cut a rectangular piece of fleece using measurements #1 and #2.
4. Find the center of the fleece where the neck hole should be. (Click here for instructions on how to do that.)
5. Center a CD or DVD around that mark and draw around the CD. Cut the circle in the center of the fleece.
6. Cut a strip of ribbing that is 2″ x (the circumference of your child’s head – 4″). Hold the ends together and test it for fit – it should fit snugly over your child’s head. You may need to subtract more or less depending on how stretchy your ribbing is, so just use your child’s head as a guide.
7. Sew the short ends together with a 1/4″ seam so the ribbing is now in a tube.
8. Mark 4 equidistant points – on the ribbing, start with the seam. Fold it in half at the seam and mark the opposite end then match up those two marks to get the third and fourth points. Do the same with the fleece.
9. Matching up the equidistant points (marked with pins), pin the ribbing to the fleece, right sides together, with the ribbing on the outside. Serge together.
That’s it! My boys wear their ponchos all the time over hoodies or even coats sometimes and are toasty warm and comfy too!