I use my Cricut for so much more than scrapbooking. One thing I love to do with my Cricut is to make little learning games for my son. So far I’ve made little games to help him learn his shapes and colors.
This would be a lot of work without a Cricut, but can still be done. Here’s what you need:
- construction paper or card stock (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, white, brown, and black)
- clear contact paper (find at Walmart in the drawer liner/wall paper area)
- paper cutter
Color Flash Cards
Cut out two rectangles, about the size of a playing card, from each color of card stock. You can write the name of the color on the card or leave it blank. Cover each rectangle with clear contact paper.
Here are some color games to play with your toddler:
- Lay them all out and ask him to find the red ones, for example.
- Give him a set containing one card of each color and you keep the other set. Lay a color on the table and ask him to lay down the same color.
- Hold them up and ask him to name the colors.
- Lay one of each color out on the table. Give him the other set and ask him to lay the matching color cards on top.
Shape Flash Cards
Cut out the following shapes from each of the 9 colors: heart, rectangle, circle, square, triangle, oval, star. You can write the names of the shapes and colors on each or leave them blank. Cover each shape with clear contact paper.
Here are some games you can play with your toddler and these cards:
- Lay the cards out on the floor and ask him to hand you all the shapes of one color.
- Lay the cards out on the floor and ask him to hand you all the same shape, heart, for example.
You can also cut out 2 of each shape and make a shape/color matching game as well.
Both of these little sets are easy to make, especially if you have a Cricut, and they will really help your toddler learn his colors and shapes. My son loves for me to play with him, but he also loves to sort them into piles all by himself. Sorting is a great learning activity for toddlers, and this is a very inexpensive and easy game you can make yourself.