Since we’ve been spending so much time at Thanksgiving Point’s Museum of Ancient Life, Elliot is totally into dinosaurs and so we’ve been planning on having dinosaur birthday cake for a while. I love how it turned out, and it was super easy to make.
Here are some basic instructions:
- Using a chocolate cake mix, bake 2 – 8″ round cakes. (I used my Wilton Ultra Gold pans and my cakes were perfect!)
- Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for an hour.
- Cut the tops off with a bread knife to even them out.
- Cut 1″ off the bottom of one cake and cut out a U shape to make the legs.
- Cut the head and tail from the second round cake.
- Put the three pieces together in the dinosaur shape.
- Freeze the cakes for a couple hours.
- Make up some vanilla frosting and color it green (or your favorite dinosaur color).
- Frost the top and sides.
- Make spikes along the dinosaurs back with Kisses and decorate the rest with Kisses and other chocolate candies.
Dinosaur cake was a huge hit for Elliot’s birthday this year. As I am not very artistic, I might be talking Elliot into dinosaur cakes for the next few years or at least until I can come up with something else this cute and easy!
Happy cake eating!