One thing has been consistent through both of my pregnancies so far – I really get into trying new recipes. I guess I just require more varied and delicious food when I’m pregnant. I know I think about food more. Everytime I go to update my Twitter thing, my first thought is to write something about food – what I’m eating, what I’m thinking about eating, what I want to make, etc. It’s crazy!
Alas, as I am at the end of my second pregnancy, I have many new recipes that have been added to our meal schedule. I love trying a new recipe and wanting to make it again!I have made this first one at least twice in the last month, and it was the first Chicken Pot Pie recipe I’d ever made myself. It is sooo good and not to difficult either.
Pregnant Recipe #1: Chicken Pot Pie
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I like to throw potatoes, broccoli, corn and whatever else I might have in there. The more the merrier! And I usually make everything from scratch, but honestly. Buy the pie crust. It would just be too much work to make it yourself. Enjoy!