Since I discovered that my second true love is quilting, I’ve been researching and trying all kinds of different products. Here are some of my favorites:
Spray and wipe off for a super slippery sewing table surface, which makes machine quilting so much easier! I got this stuff at Walmart and tested it on a scrap – so far I haven’t had any oily residue or any other problems, but I do worry…anyone know of a fabric safe silicone spray?
Repositionable Adhesive Spray
This is my favorite discovery of the year – basting a quilt with adhesive spray takes about 5 minutes. So fabulous…this Krylon kind isn’t specifically for fabric either so it does have a strong odor, but it’s super cheap and I haven’t noticed any adverse effects.
Some kind of quilting gloves or grips are a must. I haven’t tried gloves yet, but I do like these little finger tip things. I only use them on my thumb and pointer finger and they’re easy to get on and off when I need to rethread a needle, etc. But I’m going to try gloves too (maybe grabaroos? anyone?) and see what I like better.
And marking tools. Since I discovered quilting stencils, I’m been searching for the perfect marking tool. I’ve tried these:
- Aerosol Chalk Spray (not pictured because I can’t find it anywhere!) – THUMBS DOWN
- pros – easy/quick to use
- cons – very messy, stinky, and one quilt would use at least an entire can, and doesn’t show up very well
- Trace’N Mark Extra Thick Water Eraseable Pen – THUMBS UP
- pros – easy to use, very visible and doesn’t rub off
- cons – expensive (around $8 a pen but it does last a long time…), time consuming, point just barely fine enough to fit within stencil
- Pounce Pad – THUMBS UP
- pros – inexpensive, can mark a whole quilt in no time
- cons – doesn’t always show up very well, chalk powder only comes in two colors
I still have to try these Frixion gel pens I’ve been reading about – that option seems really awesome except I’ve heard the ink runs out quickly. But there are tons of colors and the ink allegedly disappears with a little heat/friction. I could love it.
What’s your favorite marking tool? Or general quilting product? Spill it. I need to know.