The winner is #69, Sharleen. She said, “I am more used to knitting but I have 2 grand kids graduating soon and want to crochet afghans for them. This book would be helpful. I enjoy your video references which can be accessed directly in Goggle reader.”
Send an email with your address to kelsey[at]vanillajoy[dot]com BEFORE WEDNESDAY to claim your prize. Thanks!
One reader will win the following prizes:
- Crocheting For Dummies (2nd. Edition) – $20
- Button Loafer Booties pattern (crochet) from Polka Dot Posh – $6
- Baby Ear Flap Beanie pattern (crochet) from Polka Dot Posh – $6
Crocheting For Dummies
I’m really not a person who can learn how to do something from reading a book. However, I love For Dummies books because they have a wide range of information for people of all levels. While I don’t think I could have learned how to crochet solely from reading this book, it’s a great reference book. I have looked up several times new skills like how to join new yarn in the middle of a row (page 111) and decreasing and increasing basics.
I read the first few chapters straight through and it really helped me understand all about yarn, gauge, tension, tools, and patterns. Plus there are many beginner patterns with lots of explanation to give you practice with all of your new knowledge.
When I need some help, I turn to You Tube and For Dummies. In the last few months, I’ve checked out For Dummies books from our library on a variety of topics including Plumbing, Cast Iron Cooking, and more. I love how the books are organized and how I don’t feel like a Dummy when I’m finished reading!
Oliver and Ivy
This crocheted hat pattern is one of the many ADORABLE patterns from one of my favorite Etsy shops, Polka Dot Posh. Cassie Ence is the creator of these patterns that are great for beginners and experienced crochet queens alike.
I love how Cassi wrote this pattern to use two strands of Vanna’s Choice yarn to get a very chunky two-tone look and then make a fuzzy border that is just soooo cute!
And Cassi is available and willing to help at any time. I had a few questions, emailed her, and received a very helpful and timely response.
I also got to try out the crocheted bootie pattern, and they were easy and quick (as long as you count your stitches and keep track of where you are!). I love how these little booties look just like shoes and I’ll be giving them away as baby gifts this year. (They also make great photography props…) This pattern also uses Vanna’s Choice yarn which makes a very soft and comfy bootie.
Besides the booties and hat patterns she’s giving away, she also has patterns for a precious newborn teddy bear hat, hanging stork cocoon, visor beanie, diaper cover, and earwarmer/headwrap. Her patterns are easy to follow and your finished product will be beautiful!
- Make a comment on this post before midnight Friday, April 23.
- A winner will be selected and announced at the top of this post on Saturday.
- Only one comment per person unless you earn extra entries.
- Giveaway open only to residents of the continental United States…sorry.
- Winners must email me to claim their prize within 5 days.
EARN EXTRA ENTRIES
You may earn 1 extra entry each for doing the following (make a separate comment for each thing you do):
- Blog about this contest with a link back to this post
- Email 3 friends about the contest
- Post about this contest in a forum with a link back here (ex. Ravelry, Knitting Forums, Knitting Help)
- Subscribe to Polka Dot Posh’s shop feed
- Become a Facebook Fan of For Dummies
- Follow For Dummies on Twitter
- Follow Vanilla Joy on Twitter
- Tweet about this contest with link back here (copy and paste http://www.vanillajoy.com right into the text box)
- Become a Facebook Fan of Vanilla Joy
- Facebook about the contest
- Subscribe to my feed
- Sign up for my newsletter
- Add my button to your sidebar
- Comment on any non-contest post (must contribute to the conversation)
GOOD LUCK and THANKS!