T-Shirt Bag Tutorial
Note: The lighting was bad for some of these pictures. It’s all the same t-shirt…just so you know…
For this project you’ll need an old t-shirt, a medium sized bowl, and regular sewing supplies
1. Turn the t-shirt inside out, line up the shirt along the hemline, pin, and sew the front and back together.
Because this is going to be the bottom of your bag, you want the seam to be strong and reinforced. Sew this seam using a stitch length of 1.
2. Arrange the t-shirt so you have a triangle with the hem bisecting the triangle exactly down the middle.
3. Sew straight across the triangle about 2 1/2″ from the point of the triangle. You can do more or less depending on how wide you want the base of the bag to be.
You could skip this step, but your bag wouldn’t have a rectangular base. The bag would just come to a point where you sewed the seam. Do this step only if you want a wider base.
This is what the bottom of the bag looks like after completing steps 2 and 3.
4. Place a medium sized bowl around the neckline so that about half of the bowl is on top of the shirt. Mark a line around the bowl, pin the two layers of shirt together, and cut. This step will make the opening larger and therefore easier to put things in the bag.
5. With the shirt still inside out, cut the sleeves off of the shirt. Turn the t-shirt inside out and…VOILA!
This is a great way to keep that favorite t-shirt in use. Have fun making your super easy t-shirt bags!